Translate

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Inspiration (Overload) Point

Hiya!


I've been drawing my little heart out.  In all of my years, I have never - ever - felt so inspired.  There are so many things going on in my head while I am drawing right now, that it's almost scary.  Seriously.

Since I have discovered the technique of Zentangle, I can't stop drawing.  I mean, I think about it all the time.  In the shower.  While I'm cooking.  While I'm exercising.  After the light goes off and I'm lying in bed.  And when I am drawing!  That's when it gets a bit creepy.  I get so many ideas for what I could add to my drawing, or inspirations for the next drawing... while I'm drawing. I can be truly engrossed in an area, concentrating hard to keep lines clean, then my mind is fast-forwarding to the next area.   It's inspiration overload.  I find myself having to actually take a break.  My husband tells me that he is so happy to see me drawing so much.  It makes him happy.  I even tried to explain this feeling to him.  My son understood.  While both kids and my husband cheer me on, it's my youngest who, I believe, truly 'gets it.'  Both of my sons are wonderful artists, but my youngest is more into art.  We discuss different techniques when I show him the progress of one of my drawings. 


I find that music helps me "Zen."  Depending on what I listen to, the design that emerges paints a picture of my mood.  Thank the stars for Pandora Radio.  I can go from Chopin, to Prince, to Toto, to Ella, to Shaun Cassidy, to Glenn Miller, and to the Dead, and the lines just flow out of me... and the dots.  Lines and dots.

With this latest one, I felt the need to fill in the empty spaces outside the design.  This is what I came up with
I should name this "Monsters" as it reminds my son of Harry Potter's "Monster Book of Monsters."
I think this is my favorite to date.  I almost thought about adding color, but I think it's better left in black and white.  Alex tells me that these are cool because your eyes are always kept busy looking at them.  I think that was a compliment.

Until next time,

Keep tangling!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! And Alex is right...there's always somewhere for the eye to go next, but it can also rest over a serene curve somewhere. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just re-read this post today, and i saw the drawing as completely new -- i absolutely love it! i see celtic elements in the heavy black shapes at the edges, and the variety of patterns is endlessly interesting. each shape and pattern flows from one into the next and all around.
    you said you have to take a break sometimes...what would happen if you didn't take a break but instead kept going without slowing down to keep the lines clean? have you tried it? i'm curious what you'd end up with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting that you mention this, Bestie. I tried drawing a tangle today and quite frankly, I ended up tearing out the pages and stopping in frustration. I actually said out loud, "I have to stop. I'm doing nothing but wasting good paper and good ink on crap."

    Next time I get this way, I will keep going. I tend to get very anal about lines being perfect, and things flowing. That will be my next adventure. I will not use a pencil. I will keep going, even if I 'mess up', and if things are not to my anal specifications... Oh well! Thanks for the inspiration, Donna! xoxo And thanks for taking another look! The next time we have tea, let's DRAW!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note and I'll get right back to you! Thanks for reading!