Translate

Friday, February 3, 2012

My First True Zentangle

Okay, I said previously that there are really no rules to Zentangle.  At least I thought there weren't.  Doing research, I still see that there are no true rules, but I find that shapes and things do have names.  I find this odd.  So, perhaps I am doing it incorrectly?  Art?  Wrong?  Pahsha!  I did find that there are classes held here in Howard County for Zentangling.  I would love to take a class.  Learn Zentangle In Howard County

When I did my first ...okay, my first experimental ZentT, I used a black Prismacolor pencil to draw my shapes and outlines.  Big mistake.  Ballpoints failed miserably, smearing ink everywhere.  Again, through my research, I learned that there are pens, micro-tipped pens, made especially for ZenT!  Sakura Pigma Micron Pen Set  What a delightful difference!  Five black pens (they do come in colors, too... next payday... ahem) from thin, really thin, ultra thin, crazy thin, and OMG is this thin.  Perfect for ZenT!  So, Inspired from my open hearts I just completed, I began in pencil.  The only thing I sketched in pencil were the hearts in the middle.  Again, I was trying to, at first, design a cool Valentine tattoo for myself.  I tried all kinds of ways to position four hearts.  I finally came up with something.

The amazing thing about ZenT is it truly does take you somewhere while you're doing it.  It's almost inspiration overload.  While you're doing one part, you are already thinking and seeing where and what to do next.  It helps to play music.  Ella Fitzgerald helped me with this one.  I started this yesterday afternoon and signed it complete five minutes ago:

I have to admit, I am really proud of this.  It's also inspired me in ways I've never been inspired before.  do me a favor:  Try it.  Put on some music.  Grab a pen... even a Sharpie will work.  All this is is lines and dots... some are thicker than others.  ANYONE can do this.  The trick to this art form is to RELAX and just flow with it.  If you are stressing over it, you are taking it way too seriously.  It's a very laid-back, relaxed way to unwind.  It's great for kids, too.  Try it!

Until next time,

Keep doodling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note and I'll get right back to you! Thanks for reading!